Thursday, 15 August 2013

I'm Back, and I Made a Shirt into a Bag!

It's been a long time since I've posted on this blog, but that is about to change, I promise. I will shortly be giving it the attention it so rightly deserves. Tuesday 20th is the day when we will finally get broadband, and I should be able to return to the world of normal sized screen internet which doesn't stop working when you accidentally hit the wrong thing on its' tiny keyboard...

Anyway! It’s not particularly a secret that I’m into the idea of self-sufficiency, sustainability and recycling. It’s also not a secret that I am crap with a sewing machine. I was asked not to take GCSE Textiles because I kept inexplicably breaking sewing machines and ended up having to sew my final project by hand, which took AGES. However, my baby son (with help from his father) got me a small sewing machine for my birthday and as currently my husband is the only one to have used it, I felt like I should give it a go.
We’ve been sorting out our wardrobes lately, as since having my son ten months ago there are a lot of things that are either too small for me or just the wrong shape, and my husband had loads of stuff which had shrunk in the wash (due to an overly haphazard phase of shoving everything in the tumble dryer, whether or not it was supposed to go in there!), so we’ve been amalgamating a rag pile, eventually destined to make a rug, which was just sort of sat in our room, getting in the way. Yesterday I decided to do something about it. I had an old shirt of mine in the pile which has been too small for donkeys but I didn’t want to get rid of it because I love the pattern, so I thought if I sewed up the sleeves and bottom, it would be a pretty good bag to put all the rest of the scrap clothing in.

I got out the sewing machine and the manual and tried to pull out the dredges of what I remember about sewing machines from school (just to clarify, I have used a sewing machine since, having made my own costume once or twice when partaking in amateur dramatics, but always heavily supervised by my mum, sister, or grandma, all of whom are better with machines than me) and eventually managed to get the thing threaded. After a few false starts – the thread kept getting stuck in something – I eventually managed to successfully sew up the bits I wanted sewn up, and this is the result.

Admittedly it still looks sort of like a shirt on a hanger, but it is full of our rag pile which is no longer annoyingly in the way, and I used a sewing machine and didn’t die! I’m incredibly proud of myself, and while I’m not sure I’ll ever be much of a sewer, there are a few projects I’ve been wanting to try, the first being a beanbag for my son’s room which I’ve had all the stuff for since before he was born and just not got the courage up to make yet. Maybe it will be my next project, after I finish taking a couple of cool motifs off of tops that are too small and sewing them onto boring T shirts... The possibilities are endless! 

Finally, I just wanted to say that on Monday I'll be starting to take part in the UK Crafter of the Week feature which is the brainchild of Laura of Pink Flamingo Handcrafting, and there will be some great crafters being featured so be sure to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment